Total Page Views

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The home straight - matches 26 - 28

Match 26 - Willows Lake, Lindholme Lakes, Epworth

Sunday 28th September 2014

For this match we had pegs 1 to about 30 and there were 18 of us in attendance.  I was hoping for either peg 2 or the end of one of the spits.  In all of the matches that we have fished on either Laurels or Willows lakes (both of which are similar in shape), I have never drawn towards the end of a spit, I am usually in a corner and today... was no exception.  I drew peg  12 which looking on the map, looked to be at the end of a spit, but when I actually got to the peg, it was a corner peg.  I had peg 13 empty  with big Macca on peg 14 on the point, Dave Wath behind me in the other corner. Alan Hunter was to the front of me on another spit.  Stewpot Wilson was on peg 2 looking down the lake with no one on 1, 3, 4, 5, this was primarily down to the design and pegging of the lake.  Woofer was on point peg 7, Pid drew next to him on peg 8.  Upon arriving at his peg, Pid felt that he could not fish his peg due to the bush that was considerably close to the right side of his peg.  He could get up, have a pee in the bush then sit down again without moving his feet.

It was agreed that he could move, but where to?  One option was to the empty peg at the side of me, but due to the way that I was plumbing and some strategically placed pole rollers courtesy of Macca, it was agreed that peg 13 was not suitable.  By the time that it was agreed on a peg to fish, he was the last man on our match (as the other club relinquished one of their pegs) and he ended up on about peg 33 or so.

I set up 4 pole rigs, 1 rig for top 2 + 2 at the base of the near slope, one rig to fish into the corner and 2 shallow rigs.  For bait, I had 4 tins of 6mm cubed meat, and 2 bags of venue 6mm pellets and a tub of my own hard 6mm pellets for the band.

At the start of the match, I fed some meat on the short line and dropped the rig in whilst feeding the shallow pole line at about 13m at an angle pointing towards the opposite point.  After 15 minutes on the short line, I had 3 gudgeon and no carp to show for my efforts.  I decided to go shallow and see if there was anything there.

First drop in, I caught an F1 about 1lb or so.  Over the next hour or so, I caught F1's reasonably steadily, but I was not breaking any records.  I started to feed another area at 13m to my right, still in open water to try to catch fish off both lines.  I was still catching, but it did not seem to be any quicker, if anything, it seemed to be slowing down.  I went down the side on the pole rig and caught a couple of carp, but was also getting liners as it was about 3ft deep.  i decided to have a go on a shallow rig down the side.  The float shot under straight away and another F1 was soon in the net.  I caught steadily until the end of the match, fishing at 13m to open water and also at 14.5m down the side - all on shallow rigs.

I watched Stewpot and he appeared to have bagged throughout the match, fishing down both sides of his peg, Dave Wathen at the back of me had caught well late on.  I was not sure who else had caught.

Pid was the first to weigh and he set the ball rolling by putting 53lb 14oz on the scales, then there were quite a few weights between 20 - 40lb ish.  Andy Limpbiscuit had 45lb.  The scales arrived at Dave Wathen who, for some reason or other, is known as Mary to his associates put 54lb on the scales and was leading the match.  The scales arrived at my peg and I managed to have two weighs for a total of 98lb 2oz.  There were weights of 30 - 50lb before the scales arrived at Stewpots peg who by all accounts had over 100lb.  Stewpots first weight went 57lb odd.  He lifted his 2nd net out, this was going to be close.  His 2nd net went 35lb odd for total of 93lb 11oz.  I had won.  Dave Webster who was on about peg 25 or so had a mare of a day and ended up with 28lb odd.

Full Result
1.  Mike Herrington - 98lb 2oz
2.  Stuart Wilson - 93lb 11oz
3.  Dave Wathen - 54lb 4oz
4.  Paul Farley - 53lb 14oz

Following my recent run of form (3 wins, 1 second and a 3rd from my last 6 matches), I had now managed to sneak into the lead in the club champion points with 188pts, Stuart Wilson was 2nd with 164 pts and Dave Webster was in 3rd with 163 points.  My team were also still leading the team weights with 3965lb and Dave Horsfall's team was in 2nd place with 3786lb.

4 matches to go.....


Match 27 - Pond 1, Wholesea Grange, Howden

Sunday 5th October 2014
I have a real love hate relationship with this place.  It either fishes well generally or it fishes naff.   The wind was blowing from peg 15 towards peg 1, as per normal.   I put my hand in the lucky bag and peg 10 stuck to my hand.  I was indifferent about the peg, there was no real features or anything and the wind was quite strong.  To my left I had stewpot Wilson on peg 9 and my team mate, Eric was to my right on peg 11.  The match in itself was a real struggle.  I managed to snare about 6 carp and couple of chub, roach and ide.  Stewpot had caught well fishing to a big lily pad to his left towards peg 8 and had a few small carp out.

First to weigh was Method Michelle who had drawn peg 2 and she put just under 29lb on the scales. Next to weigh was husband and travelling partner Dave Webster who was on peg 3, after 1 weigh, he managed to put 31lb on the scales.  Then there were weights of between 19lb to about 30lb by the time the scales arrived at Stewpots peg.  Stewpot put his fish on the scales and we had a new leader as he managed to snare 35lb on the scales.  Now it was my turn.....I struggled like mad all day for a total weight of 12lb 2oz.  Eric at the side of me had 11lb, Dave Horsfall had 4lb, Bomb'N'Pellet had 9lb, then Paul Wilco Wilson put 14lb on the scales.  Pid on peg 15 put 35lb 9oz on the scales to take the lead with 2 to weigh.  Craig McKenny was just about opposite me and put 8lb on the scales.  Last to weigh was Alan Hunter who had drawn peg 1.  After a tense minute or so, the scales settled on 36lb 6oz making Alan the winner.

Full Result:
1.  Alan Hunter - 36lb 6oz
2.  Paul Farley - 35lb 9oz
3.  Stuart Wilson - 35lb 4oz
4.  Dave Webster - 31lb 2oz.

I had come 11th.  What a mare of a day.


Match 28 - Cedar Lake, The Oaks Lakes, Sessay - Robin Hood AC Fur and Feather

Sunday 12th October 2014

I came up the day before and fished the Saturday open match on this lake and came 6th from peg 79 with a weight of 70lb and ended up winning my section.  There were a couple of weights from peg 69 and 72, other than that it was a struggle on the high numbers.  The consistent pegs were the low numbers.  A quick chat with Tom and it was agreed that we could have the low numbers, pegs 1 - 27 for our match.

In view of this match being the Fur and Feather, the peg fee was subsidised and we only had pools to pay on the day. I put my hand in the lucky bag and managed to get peg 26, which put me as the end peg.  A quick check of the weights from this area yesterday and it showed that they were nearer last than first with most weights coming from peg 2 round to peg 15.  I managed to pick up the odd fish from here and there - mainly across on the shelf - for a total weight of 33lb, beaten by Woofer, Webster and Stewpot.

Full Result

1.  Stuart Wilson - peg 15 - 56lb
2.  Paul Clough - Peg 6 - 49lb 8oz
3.  Dave Webster - 36lb 10oz
4.  Mike Herrington - 33lb 10oz.

No comments: