Total Page Views

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Massive update

The last time that I updated my blog was just after match 10 at Wholesea Grange.  The season has finally finished after match 30.  A brief synopsis of each match as follows:

Match 11 - Partridge Lake, Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk - 15th June 2014
This was the 2nd leg of my knockout with Andy Limbert and I was carrying a 10lb advantage.  I could keep a close eye on Andy as we were pegged next to each other, Andy was on peg 29 and I was on peg 31.  Dave Webster went on to win the match with 119lb 4oz from about peg 23. Both Andy and I had caught - shallow initially, then down the edge and there was not a lot in it.  Andy put 99lb on the scales, now it was my turn.  I needed 90lb (as I had 10lb already) and after 2 weighs, I managed to put 86lb 12oz on the scales.  I was one fish short.  Damn.  Andy took 2nd place overall, Stuart Wilson had 90lb made up of 50lb of silver fish and 40lb of carp.  I ended up 4th and knocked out of the club knockout. :-(

Full Result:
1.  Dave Webster - 119lb 4oz
2.  Andy Limbert - 99lb
3.  Stuart Wilson - 90lb 2oz
4.  Mike Herrington - 86lb 12oz

Match 12 - Bonsai Lake, Lindholme Lakes, Epworth - 22nd June 2014
I had quite a dilemna today as it was my wedding Anniversary.  The missus let me out on remand for good behaviour, so off fishing I went.  We had pegs 20 - 41 (ish).  I drew peg 20 (or was it 21) which put me one out of the corner where the flagpole is when you come in to the complex.   I had Big Macca at the side of me who was a little worse for wear and was still carrying a hangover from the night before.  At one point, I had to act as nurse maid as he had cut himself on a tin of meat and I super-glued and taped his hand up, then his fishing pole came apart and he jumped in for it and I had to help him out.  I am sure that was going to cost me. LOL.   I caught a few shallow fishing towards the end of the island at 13m and then had a few late on down the edge for a reasonable weight.  I was first to weigh and managed to put 85lb 4oz on the scales.  Macca did well to put 31lb on the scales, given the state that he was in.  Then there was a few weights between 40 - 70lb.  Dave Webster raised the bar higher with a weight of 95lb 6oz from peg 30 fishing pellet shallow on his short line, Pid Farley put 70lb on the scales and Stuart Wilson was last to weigh from peg 40 and managed to put 93lb on the scales made up of silvers and carp on worm and caster.  There was only me from my team of 4 here today, so had it all to do.

Full Result
1.  Dave Webster - 95lb 6oz
2.  Stuart Wilson - 93lb 4oz
3.  Mike Herrington- 85lb 4oz
4.  Paul Farley - 70lb 10oz

Match 13 - Cedar Lake, The Oaks Lakes, Thirsk - 29th June 2014
Cedar Lake was my old hunting ground when I used to run the matches here for a few years.  We had the high number pegs 55 - 80.  Today turned out to be a frustrating day.  I arrived at my peg to realise that it never gets put in on matches as there was no margin swim, so I had to spend 15 - 20 mins cutting reeds out to create a margin swim (which as it transpired turned out to be fruitlless) I caught a carp across within the first minute or so, then got crayfished out for the rest of the match on that line.  I started loose feeding across and then got harassed by ducks on that line.  I ended catching (or not as the case may be) by feeding hard pellets and fishing little blobs of paste on the top 2 + 1 line.  I managed to put 34lb 9oz on the scales for about 7th in the match.

Full Result
1.  Stuart Wilson - 84lb 9oz - method feeder across - Peg 72 (because he had forgot his pole)
2.  Paul Farley - 54lb 12oz - pole across - peg 77
3.  Dave Webster - 50lb 12oz - peg 59
4.  Jason Langshaw - 50lb 4oz - peg 56

My Team were still carrying an overall weight advantage in the team event with a combined weight of 1848lb after 13 matches.  Dave Websters team was in 2nd place with a combined weight of 1728lb.

Overall Club Champion, Following a disasterous start, I was sitting in 3rd place with 80 points, Dave Webster was in 2nd place on 94 points and Stuart Wilson was leading the Club Champion points with 98 points.  You are awarded 11 points for a win, down to 1 point for coming 11th or higher.  If you did not attend you did not receive any points.

Match 14 - Lapwing Lake, Kippax Lakes, Leeds - 6th July 2014
I drew peg 20 (ish) and was so so about the peg.  Lapwing is a lake that I have rarely fished, nor have I done well when I have fished it, but then again, you have to be in it to win it.  By the end of the match, I had managed to weigh in 52lb 2oz for 4th place beaten by Stuart Wilson who had 90lb from about peg 25, who caught short all day.  He said to me after the match, that he never fishes long and only fishes short with the intention that he will pull fish short from the other bank.  if you feed the other bank, they do not want to go anywhere else....method in his madness, I guess.  2nd place went to Dave Webster who had 67lb 10oz from about peg 7 and 3rd place went to Paul Clough who ounced me with 52lb 6oz.

Full Result
1.  Stuart Wilson - 90lb 8oz
2.  Dave Webster - 67lb 10oz
3.  Paul Clough - 52lb 6oz
4.  Mike Herrington - 52lb 2oz

Match 15 - Pond 1, Wholesea Grange, Howden - 13th July 2014
As with Kippax Lakes, Wholesea Grange has always been less than favourable to me for one reason or another.  On this match I drew peg 7 and had Dave Webster next to me on peg 6, this was going to be interesting.  I fed my margin swim and only had a couple of bits off it.  On the deck at 8m, where it was about 7ft deep, I managed 1 carp and a couple of bits.  Most of my fish (and Dave's) came shallow at between 14 - 16m out.  Dave was first to weigh and after a couple of weighs, he had 77lb odd.  I had 2 weighs and ended up with about 69lb.  I played a carp of about 5lb for about 10 mins on white hydro, I could not do anything with it and in this time, Dave had about 5 or 6 carp of about 2lb each.  Note to self....must pull harder with the pulla kit.

Full Result
1.  Dave Webster - 77lb (ish)
2.  Mike Herrington - 69lb (ish)

Not sure of the exact weights or the other places as I do not have them to hand.

A further update will follow...

Tight Lines

No comments: