Total Page Views

Friday, November 21, 2014

Matches 21 - 25

Match 21 - Partridge Lake, Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk - 24th August 2014

Sunday 24th August 2014

The matches at Woodlands Lakes are always well attended as anyone can compete and the venue lends itself to a variety of methods and baits.  Partridge Lake is the venue where the current club match record stands.  If I remember rightly, Dave Webster set it last year (I held it previously at 149lb from Skylark 23 a couple of years ago) from about peg 23 on Partridge Lake with 165/166lb ish and caught from start to end.  This sort of weight is very respectable for the venue and is up there with some of the open match weights.  I have a habit of drawing in the 30's on this lake and this match was no exception as I drew peg 32.  I had Jason Langshaw to my right on peg 34 and Eric the Pheasant drew his usual corner peg 36.

I could see that big Macca was catching steady down the edge to the next platform, some of them were right lumps, on about peg 7 or 8.  I was catching steadily as was Jason. This was going to be close...

Macca had 4 weighs and put a combined total of 150lb exactly on the scales - I really didn't think that he had that!!!!   Jason Langshaw just pipped me and put 105lb 6oz on the scales, most of which came on the bomb or method to the middle of the lake or short chuck at 16m.  I managed to snare 102lb 2oz for 3rd, catching most of my fish either shallow on the pole or down the edge.

Full Result
1.  John McCall - 150lb
2.  Jason Langshaw - 105lb 6oz
3.  Mike Herrington - 102lb 2oz
4.  Stuart Wilson - 92lb 2oz

I was still in 3rd place in the Club Champion points with 137 pts, only one behind Stuart Wilson who had 138pts and Dave Webster was still out in front with 157 pts.

My team was still in first place in the Team competition with 3192lb and Dave Websters team was in 2nd place with 3115lb.

9 matches to go......


Match 22 - Osprey Lake, Kippax Lakes, Leeds - 31st August 2014

Sunday 31st August 2014

There were quite a few absentees on this match including both of the front runners in the club champion stakes.  I had better get my finger out and make it count....

I drew peg 8 which is halfway down the first bank on the lake.  On our last match on this lake, this area struggled and most of the weights came from the corner pegs.  Anyway 5 hours later, I had managed to put 68lb on the scales for a win.  I had caught all my fish on pellet at 13m just in front of the sedges.  I had tried in the shallower water, tighter to the island, but foul-hooked and lost most of the fish that I hooked.  Barry Hunter was 2nd with 57lb and Woofer Clough was 3rd with 55lb.

Full Result
1.  Mike Herrington - 68lb 12oz
2,  Barry Hunter - 57lb 60z
3.  Paul Clough - 55lb 12oz
4.  Paul Wilson - 41lb 8oz


Match 23 - Match Lake, Sykehouse Lake, Doncaster - 7th September 2014

Sunday 7th September 2014

Given my result from the last match on this lake, I was quite apprehensive and was hoping for a better draw.  I walked around the pond and again, the wind was blowing into the bay pegs, as before.  I put my hand in the lucky bag and snared peg 10, right bank, bit too far away from where I wanted to be.  I had Mark Wright to my right and we had an agreement, he fishes on the deck on the bomb and pellet and I fish shallow.  I fished with the pole shallow on both jigga and fixed shallow rigs at 14.5m for most of the match, bar a couple of looks down the edge on worm over grounbait.

5 hours and 3 weighs later, I put 127lb 8oz on the scales.  Pid was on peg 26 and put 114lb on the scales and Dave Horsfall was 3rd with 98lb.  Mark to my right weighed in 81lb all on bomb and pellet with a couple of fish down the edge.

Full Result
1.  Mike Herrington - 127lb 8oz
2.  Paul Farley - 114lb 2oz
3.  Dave Horsfall - 98lb 14oz
4.  Craig McKenny - 88lb 2oz


Match 24 - Little Adams, Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster - 14th September 2014

Sunday 14th September 2014

This match really annoyed me (biting my tongue here!!) on so many levels.  I generally go fishing once per week and was really looking forward to this match.  We had booked 26 pegs on a 32 peg lake, so were hopeful to have the full lake, including what I consider to be the best pegs on the spit/arm - pegs 28 - 32.  If we had the full lake, we could hopefully leave out the riverbank pegs (the ones with the river behind you) which are 21 - 27 as they hardly ever win a penny.  I have fished this lake 4 times previously and drew peg 4 (weighed in 34lb) wind off my back and everyone on pegs 13 - 20 caught.  Peg 24 - weighed in 54lb, but only after everyone else packed up and left and I had the bank to myself, Peg 25 and had 30lb and finally peg 25 again - weighed in 12lb for 2nd on my bank (13lb won the bank).  So.....

I arrived at the venue to find that we did not have the full lake, AND, that there were some people ALREADY fishing the lake, AND they were on the best pegs on the spit, AND they were catching fish.  This was going to really ruin the match for us.  To make matters even worse, I put my hand in the lucky (or not so lucky) bag and drew peg 22 - ON THE RIVERBANK, AGAIN!!!!  I was not a happy teddy bear.  For company, I had Bomb 'n' Pellet at the side of me on peg 23, and both Woofer and Dave Webster were on my bank on pegs 25 and 26 respectively.

The wind was blowing from the corner near me (peg 21) diagonally across the lake to peg 4.  I managed to snare half a dozen carp shallow on pellet and long pole and some bits and bats for a combined weight of 40lb plus.  Method Michelle chalked up her 3rd win this year from about peg 7 or 8 with 78lb 4oz caught on either method or bomb on the pole line, just ouncing Bomb 'n' Pellet who ended up 2nd with 78lb exactly.  Stuart Wilson took 3rd place with 47lb 8oz from peg 16.  I ended up joint 4th with Jason Grimshaw  Langshaw.

Woofer ended up with 32lb and Dave ended up with 16lb.

Full result
1.  Michelle Webster - 78lb 4oz
2.  Mark Wright - 78lb
3.  Stuart Wilson - 47lb 8oz
4.  Mike Herrington & Jason Langshaw - 43lb 4oz


Match 25 - Kestrel Lake, Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk

21st September 2014

I hadn't fished Kestrel Lake at Woodlands for a good few years.  The last time that I fished this particular lake was on the last Fishomania qualifier that I fished a few years ago.  I drew peg 4 (for the 3rd year in succession) and tipped back 3 or 4 carp.  I had James Dent at the side of me on this Fisho match who fished for a couple of hours, then went to the pub for the rest of the match.

I put my hand in the lucky bag and drew peg 29.  I arrived at my peg and it took me longer to get my seatbox level/stable without slipping back than it did to set up the rest of my gear.  I had Pid to my right on peg 30 and Bomb N Pellet to my left on peg 27.

There are some big carp in Kestrel lake now, with a the biggest reported at 27lb, which was caught earlier this year.

Both Pid and I started short, I had nothing whilst Pid's first fish was about 13lb, then he had another about 10lb, so he has 23lb in the first 20 mins.  We both then went out on long pole - shallow and we were sharing the fish.  He would catch one, then nothing, then I would catch one, then nothing and vice versa.  It got to the point where we were waiting ages for bites, so I decided to come off the long pole line and fish the pellet waggler mid water towards the middle of the lake.

Rumours were travelling up and down the bank that there were huge fish coming out all over the place. Not for me unfortunately.  I was catching some fish, but possibly not enough.  Stuart and Webster we both catching.  Stuart was on corner peg 35/36 and Webster was on about peg 11 or 13.

I came short in the last hour, but did not have much, so was swapping between the pellet waggler and long pole shallow.

Come the weigh in, by the time that the scales reached me, Dave Horsfall was leading with 71lb from corner peg 17/18 on the first bank.  Then back up weights of 50 - 65lb were bountiful.

I had two weighs and put 42lb on first weigh, then 42lb on for 2nd weigh for a good split and a total weight of 84lb.  The scales arrived at Pid's peg and he managed to plonk 99lb on the scales.  Stuart was last to weigh and had two weighs and ended up with 60 odd pounds.

Full Result
1.  Paul Farley - 99lb 1oz
2.  Mike Herrington - 84lb
3.  Dave Horsfall - 71lb 12oz
4.  Mark Wright - 65lb



No comments: