Total Page Views

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Robin Hood AC Round 9 - Sykehouse Lakes - Stockpond

For round 9 of the league we were on the Stock Pond at Sykehouse Fisheries near Goole.  Daz wasn't in attendance so I travelled with Chris 'Lurch' Moorhead.  Following a breakfast at the local George hotel in Sykehouse we arrived at the venue.  The club had a match on the venue last year and the winners came from the pegs in the twenties.

There is 31 pegs on Stock Pond, but they usually leave out peg 31.  The pond is approx 15 - 20ft deep in places and about 10-12ft deep at 10m out.

By the time of the draw, there was about 16/17 of us on the match.  I put my hand in the bag and peg 15 stuck to my hand.  I arrived at my peg to find that I had Woofer Clough on peg 13 and Lurch Moorhead on peg 17.  Paul 'Wilco' Wilson, Ian 'Syd' Waddell, Gaz Jowett, Pid Farley and Craig McKenny were all on the favoured pegs in the 20's.

The view from peg 15

The left hand margin
Tackle

I set up my pellet waggler rod and the pole with the following rigs:


Rigs 1, 2 and 3
Rig 1 was was an in-line dibber float set to fish about 18" deep.
Rig 2 was a Jigga float set to fish between 6" - 2.5ft deep.
Rig 3 was a 4 x 14 Carpa Gent set to fish to the margin to my left and right and was set at about 5ft deep (that was the depth as close to the margin that I could get).

Some bait - keep it simple.
For bait, I had some mixed 6mm cubed meat with corn and some 6mm and 8mm pellets.

The Match got under way and I had a quick look to both my left and right margin swims - just in case something was milling about down the edge.  After a fruitless 15 - 20 minutes, I decided it was time to have a look out on the long pole shallow.

I went out on the jigga rig and proceeded to work the bait up and down whilst feeding some 6mm pellets over the top.  I had been lifting and working the bait for approx 10 minutes or so, when all of a sudden there was a couple of swirls around my float and then it sailed under slowly.  I lifted into the fish, it then decided to wake up.  I shot off to the dark and deep depths - it must have gone down about 6 fathoms before it got the bends and decided to come to the top.  After a frantic battle my biggest cap of the day was in the landing net (see photo below).

I proceeded to fish the long pole line for another fruitless 30 minutes or so.

Now it was time to have a go on the pellet waggler.  I cast out the pellet waggler to about 30 yards and fed some 8mm pellets over the top.  The waggler shot under and I was in.  Some 10 seconds later, it had got off. Crap!!

Lurch Moorhead had managed to snare a couple of carp, Dave Webster, who was on peg 8 had managed to snare 3 carp shallow on the long pole and I could see that generally everyone was struggling.  There was literally no wind whatsoever.  The lake was flat calm.  It was possible to see carp cruising around all over the place.

I started to try casting towards the fish topping, but in doing so, they bolted off out of the peg.

I managed to snare another 9 carp over the duration of the match (2 on pole and 7 on pellet waggler) for a total of 10 carp.  I also caught a couple of skimmers and roach on the long pole shallow.  I had a bottle-top skimmer down the edge on double corn.

I could see that Wilco had caught a few down the margins late on.  Woofer Clough was stringing a few fish together.  Eric the Pheasant, Webster, Stu-pot Wilson, Big Macca and Wrighty were all struggling on the low numbers (pegs 1 - 10).  Moorhead had caught a few carp, but hopefully he was playing catchup with me.  I could see that Craig and Pid had also caught a few fish.

That was it, time, end of the match.

The scales started at Wrighty's peg and he set the ball rolling with 17lb, then there were weights of 20lb (Macca), 23lb (Stu-pot), 26lb (Webster), 19lb (Eric).  The scales arrived at Woofers peg and he plonked 39lb 7oz on the scales.  I lifted my net out (it was going to be close) and managed to plonk 39lb 2oz on the scales.  Moorhead was still here and put 27lb on the scales (PHEW!!!).  Dave Wathen put 39lb on the scales.  Michelle Webster has just got a sponsorship deal with Sharkskin wetsuits after going into the lake to retrieve a topkit that had got dragged off her pole.  She managed to get the topkit (and fish) back and put 19lb on the scales.  That is the 3rd time this year that she had had a lake bath (Barnburgh - to find her glasses and The Oaks were her previous swimming lessons).  I think that she is in secret training for the triathlon, but has not quite made it to the cycle and running part yet.  It is a good job she has a pair of big water wings.  I was currently in 2nd place with the twenties to weigh.

The scales arrived in the twenties.  After a couple of weighs, Wilco Wilson put 88lb on the scales, Gaz Jowett had 43lb, Syd Waddell had 46lb, Pid weighed in 50lb and MC Mckenny put 41lb on the scales.

Here's one that I caught earlier.
Full Result:

1. Paul Wilson - 88lb 9oz (peg 23 ish)
2. Paul Farley - 50lb 9oz (peg 29)
3. Ian Waddell - 46lb 15oz (peg 25 ish)
4. Gary Jowett - 43lb 13oz (peg 24 ish)
5. Craig McKenny - 41lb 14oz (peg 30)

Wholesea Grange, Pond 2 next week.

Tight Lines 

No comments: