Total Page Views

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Moorfields Farm Fishing, Goole

Today was the 2nd match in our 30 match summer league with Robin Hood AC at Moorfields Farm Fishery, Goole on the 1st pond.

There were 19 of us in attendance today.  The newly-weds were back of their honeymoon (Congratulations Dave & Michelle Webster), they arrived back in time to organise today's fixture.  We also had a few new recruits joining us.

Apparently there was a match on the lake yesterday and 83lb won from about peg 10.  I fancied drawing pegs 2, 15 and 30 which are all corner pegs.  Pegs 2 and 30 due to the hurricane blowing that way and peg 15 is a noted peg as in my two previous outings here, I have been on 14 and 15 and won both matches.  Failing that I wanted to draw the low numbers 1 - 15 as usually, this is where all the weights come from.

I watched a couple of lads draw and saw pegs 15, 13 and 18 come out.  I put my hand in the bag and gave it a good shuffle and pulled out....

Peg 21.  Baubles, or words to that effect came out of my mouth.  

I arrived at peg 21 to find I had Macka to my left on peg 20 and the female newly-wed on peg 23.  Lurch drew peg 18 (with 16, 17 and 19 empty), peg 15 went to one of the new recruits, Ray Dix, peg 2 was drawn by Mark Wright and male newly-wed drew peg 30.  Well, I know where the money was going today.  All the way to peg 30.

It a tad windy... Sometimes some of the places that we go to need to be re-named.  Take today for instance - Moorfields would have been well at home in some Spaghetti Western and should have been called Tumbleweed Fishery, what with all the wind that we had today.  I am sure that some tumbleweed came rolling across the pond, up and over the central island and on into the North Sea and beyond.

I set up the following tackle

1. 4 x 14 Carpa Gent on .17 Preston Powerline to a .13 Preston Powerline hooklength with a size 14 Colmic 501 hook.  I plumbed up to the next peg platform and found about 3.5ft.

2. 4 x 16 Carpa Gent on .15 Preston Powerline to a .12 Shimano Antares hooklength with a size 18 Colmic 501 hook.  I plumbed up at about 10m at the base of the far slope and found about 4ft.

3. Leger rod with a 12" hooklength and a size 16 Drennan Carp Match hook and a Korum Bait-spike.

For bait I had some micro-pellets covered in some Bait-Tech Halibut Marine Method Mix, which I have riddled to take any large particles out. Red and white maggots, casters, corn and some 6mm Bait-Tech Expander pellets that I had spare from yesterday.

 
I was ready.

At the all in I potted some micro-pellets, expander pellets and corn in at 10m in front of me and catapulted some expander pellets out to the far side.

I got the margin rig and baited up with an expander pellet, I put a bit of micro pellets and some expanders in a little tosspot and shipped out to the next platform.  I settle the rig and waited for it to go.

When you are fishing the first 5 or 10 minutes are so full of excitement and tension.  Not knowing how long you will have to wait or what your first fish is going to be.

After about 10 minutes, I had not had an indication.  I put some more bait in with the tosspot and gave it another 10 minutes or so. Still nothing.

I put some more bait in and left it whilst I went out on the 10m rig baited with an expander pellet.

The float settled, it wobbled then flew under.  I struck and about 1ft of elastic came out and a 6oz skimmer was on the end.  I dropped in again and caught another similar skimmer.  Mrs Newlywed had had a carp by this point on groundbait feeder to the far-side and Macka had a skimmer about 1lb on chopped worm.

I then swapped between the margin rig, the 10m rig and the bomb for the next couple of hours trying to snare a carp.  I tried corn, pellet, caster, double corn, double pellet on all lines.  But alas, none were forthcoming. Mrs Newlywed had now had 3 carp for about 10lb and I had 6 skimmers for about 1.5lb.

The wind seemed to be getting stronger and stronger.  At one point I had so much grit and dust in my eyes and on my glasses, I am sure a dust devil went whizzing past.

I decided to fish and feed caster on top 3 kit to see if I could catch the skimmers faster and hope that a carp comes along and has a chew.

Over the remainder of the match, I caught the odd roach and skimmer on caster on the top 3 kit.  I tried at 10m and caught another couple of small skimmers, but I was having to wait for bites.  I tried down the side again and I also flicked the bomb over to the far-side again.

By the end of the match, I had packed up and tipped back about 5lb of skimmers and roach.  Hopefully things will improve.

Results:
Dave Webster, peg 30 - 70lb
Mark Wright, peg 2 - 62lb
Ray Dix, Peg 15 - 50lb
Paul Farley, peg 9 - 37lb.

Michelle weighed in 20lb, Lurch had 22lb, Macka had 24lb, Dumptruck had 19lb and Front-row had 13lb.

User Report - Bait-Tech 6mm Expander Pellets
I have been using these pellets for about the past 6 months or so.  I have tried various 6mm expanders to find one that is quite robust.  I pump the pellets until they all sink, then I leave them in water.  The pellets still stay firm and do not lose their shape or breakdown even if left in water.  They are light-medium brown in colour and have a very good shape to them.

No comments: