Total Page Views

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What a difference...

a day makes!!!!.

On Saturday I fished the open at Woodlands, which I luckily won.  For round 3 of the Robin Hood AC Matches, we were back at Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk and fortunately we were also on Partridge Lake.

Yesterday the wind was blowing from left to right (peg 19 - peg 1) and was just a bit stronger than a ripple.  Today the wind is blowing from pegs 1 to 18, in the opposite direction.

All the usual suspects were in attendance.  By the time of the drawer, there were about 24 or so of us in attendance....I put my hand in the lucky bag and drew peg 30.  I was not totally disappointed with the draw as it was a couple of pegs away from yesterday.  I spoke to Jimmy in the shop and he said it will be won from the middle to far end of the lake.  Oh well, never mind.  Daz Harrison drew peg 6, Dave Webster was on peg 2, Chris Moorhead peg 17 (with 16 and 18 empty AND THE WIND BLOWING INTO PEG 18), Jason Langshaw drew my peg from yesterday - peg 33.  I had Craig McKenny to my left on peg 29 and Gary Jowett to my right on peg 32.

Tackle and rigs..

I set up the same gear and rigs as yesterday

MAP Parabolix 10ft bomb rod coupled to Shimano DL 2500 Baitrunner reel set up to fish the bomb and pellet.
Shimano Beastmaster CX 9/11 feeder rod coupled to a Shimano DL2500 Baitrunner reel set up to fish the method feeder.

3 pole rigs as follows:

4x14 Carpa Chimp on .17 Preston Powerline mainline to a .14 Browning Hybrid Power Mono hooklength to fish at 10 and 2 o'clock on top 2 + 2 attached to Preston Innovations 15h elastic.
.2g Frenzee FD200 shallow pole float rig with a Preston Powerline .13 hooklength attached to white Hydro elastic
Ian Heywood Jigga float with a .13 Preston Powerline hooklength attached to Preston Innovations 13h elastic, set soft.

I also set up my pellet waggler rod today before the start of the match.

For bait, I had the same as yesterday, some venue's own 8mm and 6mm pellets, some Dynamite Baits Meaty Marine 6mm pellets, some 6mm Bait-Tech expander pellets and some corn.

The Match

I started the match in pretty much the same style as yesterday, that is to fish on the top 2 + 2 with a 6mm expander on the hook.  I tried to the left, then to the right and I was now 30 minutes into the match.  I had not had a fish or a bite.  Ooohhh Crap!!  Craig McKenny had caught 3 carp and a couple of skimmers fishing top 2 + 3 sections.  Gary had caught a couple by fishing at about 8/9m out.

I decided it was time to go out on the bomb. The bomb settled, I tightened down to it and the rod tip flew round.  Fish on.  My first fish of the day was a carp about 6lb or so caught on bomb and pellet.

I spent another 30 mins or so on the bomb and pellet and all the while I had been feeding 8mm pellets out to the middle of the lake.  Due to no more fish on the bomb line, I decided to have a go on the pellet waggler....her goes.

I cast out the pellet wag, then catapulted some bait in, then cast out again and repeated this process, lots of times.  Finally the float shot under, I struck into it and the rod arched over.  I was in.  The fish was running to the other bank, I decided to put the brakes on, then the inevitable happened, I pulled out of the fish.  I recast again, lots and lots and hooked into another one and promptly lost.

I had by now spent about 45 mins on the pellet waggler trying to get it to work for nothing.  I still only had 1 fish. 

I tried the method over the pellet waggler line for about 30 mins and added nothing more to the single solitary carp that I had caught some time ago.

At this point, I saw Stuart Wilson (about peg 12) playing a fish on white hydro and he had had it on for quite a while.  Whilst playing it, his topkit had snapped and he had to play it through a shot section of pole.  He managed to get it in his landing net..it was well into double figures.

I was now into the last hour and I was going nowhere.  I could see that it had been a hard day for most, and there appeared to be a lot of the other anglers who had between 4 - 8 fish, so a good last hour and I could end up with a good result.  I decided to do something different by dropping the method feeder on the top 2 + 2 line with groundbait in the feeder and an 8mm pellet on a band as hookbait.  I set the freespool on my baitrunner and waited...about 5 minutes, then the freespool screamed, I was in.  A fish was on.  I played it gingerly and managed to put the net under a carp about 7lb.  I did this for the remainder of the match and managed to snare a total of 5 carp in the last hour all on method feeder short.

That was it.  Match over.  It had been a real struggle today.

Dave Webster had started the ball rolling by putting 62lb on the scales from peg 2, Daz had 21lb opposite me.  Paul Clough then raised the bar to 87lb (mostly on bomb and pellet and short in the last hour).  Stuart Wilson had nearly 70 pounds including the one that broke his topkit that went 16lb 10oz.  Michelle had 51lb, Chris Moorhead had 2 weighs for a total of 48lb.  Dave Horsfall had 17lb of carp and 19lb of skimmers from peg 20.  Ian Waddell raised the bar again and put 89lb on the scales.  Craig had 50 odd pounds, I had 1 weigh (6 carp) for a total of 41lb, Gary Jowett had about 9 carp for 65lb ish.  All in all it was a good match with nearly everyone having over 40lb.

Full result:

1.  Ian Waddell - 89lb 3oz
2.  Paul Clough - 87lb 3oz
3.  Stuart Wilson - 69lb 14oz
4.  Gary Jowett - 65lb 11oz
5.  Dave Webster - 62lb 13oz

Kippax Osprey Lake next week.....can't wait - NOT!

Tightlines until next week.



No comments: