Total Page Views

Monday, April 07, 2014

About Time For An Update, Me Thinks...

Is it really that long ago since my last blog??  What have I been doing since end of September last year??

Well, where do I start? I did a winter league at Tom's pond in Otley and a bad run of results left me about mid way down the table.

On the first match back in Nov, it was won from peg 1 on the first pond with 123lb of trout.  Two weeks later, I put my hand in the lucky bag and drew peg 3.  My old travelling partner, Bram, was not there for the draw and I knew he was going so decided to draw his peg and promptly drew peg 1 for him.  I lent him a topkit and got his nets ready for him, and he promptly went on to win the match.  it was a well attended affair and the final result of the league was Neil Rymer, Andy Barker, Craig Thompson, Andy Rawson, Lee Bramham and Eddie Storey making up the top 6.  My results were something like 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 2, 5.  On the first pond you wanted to be on pegs 1 or 2, peg 9, pegs 12 - 16.  I managed to avoid them all apart from peg 1 (hence the one in my results) once.  On pond 2, the fish moved around considerably more and if you were on them, you had a good day's fishing, if not then it was a struggle.  My best weight was about 40lb ish.  Anyway, I have put my name down for next year's (or is it this year's) league.

The winterleague matches were every other week, so Scott from Pudsey Angling Centre and I were running matches on the alternate weeks.  We had a match at Sunrise Lakes, Harrogate, where I promptly drew the wrong bank and was 2nd on my bank with about 4lb of bits.  Pete Cressey won with 26lb of carp at the car park peg.  Scott took a fiver off me to make it 1 all in the fiver stakes.

We then had a match at Crimple Pond, Harrogate, which I won with 8lb of roach on caster over groundbait at 6m.  The weather was horrendous with very strong wind and heavy rain for about 4 hours.  On a more important note, I got my fiver back off Scott. Me 2 - Scott 1.

This was followed by a match at Rising Sun Lakes at Aldwark on ponds 2 and 3.  Scott and I drew next to each other.  Scott weighed in about 3lb odd, I had 10lb odd made up of ide and a solitary carp for 2nd overall and a lake win. The wind was howling again and I snapped a topkit of my pole whilst trying to flick a 1g rig out directly into the wind. Stuart Waterhouse won from the first pond (pond 2) with 35lb odd.  That was another fiver off Scott coming my way 3 - 1.

Then we had a match at Rising Sun again on the specimen lake.  Stories of 20 - 40lb of skimmers and bags of roach were rife.  On the day, I had 4 skimmers and some bits and bats for 9lb ish and a win.  I caught by fishing 3 dead maggots over a groundbait feeder.  Scott was down another fiver 4 - 1.

We were scheduled to have a match at Follywood Lakes, Huby, but me and a mate went and had a pleasure session (to find out where it was) and never had a bite, so the match was swapped to Redwood Lakes, Huby.  We were split over 2 lakes - Arc and Redwood Lake.  I drew Redwood and had 26lb of carp on groundbait feeder and maggot or pellet for 3rd on the lake and 4th overall.  I was beaten by Stuart Waterhouse on end Peg 1 who had 109lb and Barry 'Maggot' Murgatroyd who had 32lb from end peg 29.  There was also a 40lb weight off peg 19 on Redwood.  Scott wasn't in attendance, so the fiver score stays at 4 - 1.

The final match (prior to the club starting the summer league) was back at Redwood lakes on Canal and Redwood lakes.  I drew peg 14 on Canal and won it with 97lb of F1 carp.  All on pole-fished pellet over groundbait to the far side.  Scott was 2nd with 70lb.  The fiver score is starting to look like a Leeds United football result at 5 - 1 to me.

Last week, I went on an open match to Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk and won my section by triple default due to 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall being on my lake, pegs 16 (Steve Richards  - 128lb), Peg 19 (Pete Rambow Jnr - 118lb), Peg 21 (Barry Patton - 115lb).  I drew peg 12 which is just past the middle of the lake.  I had 4 shallow in the first hour, then the wind got up and I never had another fish until the last hour and I ended up with a dozen or so for 70lb odd.

The Robin Hood AC club matches started on Sunday 5th April - a full write up to follow.

Tightlines.

Mike

No comments: