Total Page Views

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sunday 24th September 2006

Back to the grindstone.

Please let me apologies for the lack of a report from last weeks match at The Oaks, Sessay. I have been busy interviewing for a new administrator, I have also had the VAT return to complete, so have found myself busy at work.

The attendances of late have been poor to say the least, we have been getting about 40 – 44 on nearly every match for the past 5 or 6 weeks, and in view of the keen-ness for Kamasan qualifying matches in this neck of the woods, people aren’t prepared to fish a match if there aren’t 50 on. The thing is, is that if they turned up, they would make up enough numbers to be able to get them to be a qualifier.

This week, I had high hopes of getting a 50 peg+ match. Mr & Mrs (Scotthorne) were in attendance and another bloke had booked 5 of them on, and with the people that had booked on from the previous match, I was hopeful.

By the time of the draw, we had 59 in attendance and to make it fair for everyone, I decided to take out every 4th peg, in view of Cedar Lake being an 80 peg snake lake. I still received a complaint or two. ‘Why have you done this’, ‘what have you put this peg in for?’. I can’t win.

Upon Orc’s arrival, I quickly accosted him for his pound from the match a couple of weeks ago when he beat me. Let me explain. On the match two weeks ago, I weighed in 25lb. Orc admitted to his travelling partner that he’d had about 35 – 40lb and in view of wanting to get off and not wait for the scales, Orc tipped back. Some you lose, and some more you lose.

For this weeks match, the obligatory jackpot pegs were drawn and they were pegs 30 (No tongue Jarvis), 63 (D Worsley) and 78 (Old Lad Kenning). The jackpot had a serious chance of going today and Old Lad was the fella to do it. He is on fire at the moment.

I put my hand in the bag and drew out peg 62. This is a good winter peg, but has not produced anything for a good while. The last time that peg 62 threw up a weight was when Paul Burton was in attendance and he plonked just over 60lb on the scales and didn’t even win his section. Peg 62 is a on a bend and it is a very long peg across to the island, I would estimate it as being one of the longest pegs on the lake from willow tree to willow tree.

Going back to the pegging, there were 3 anglers in a row, then and empty peg. I was the middle angler in my 3 anglers in a row. I had Brian Armstrong on peg 61 and D Worsley on Jackpot peg 63. My first job was to beat the jackpot peg fella. Chappy was on peg 11 (with his empty peg on peg 12), Orc was on peg 15 (16 empty), Macca was on peg 19 (20 empty) and Barney Grumble (see below), was on peg 65, with either side empty. I had left one peg in the bag in case someone arrived late and that was peg 66. My quid’s were looking ropey this week, I was on a bad peg and I didn’t have any empty peg around me.

I set up 3 rigs at the start of the match as follows:

My first rig was a shallow rig to fish with either caster or maggot up in the water. This was a small dibber type of float (Preston’s I think). I set this up on .13 Preston Powerline straight through to a size 16 Kamasan B911 hook. I attached this rig to grey hydro.

My second rig was a .2g Garbolino DC6, set to fish on top of the shelf at 13m. The float was also on .13 Preston Powerline, straight through to a size 16 Colmic WN501 hook. I found that I had 2ft of depth across. This was also attached to grey hydro.

I also set up a deep rig at the base of the far slope; this was planned on being used if the bites dry up whilst fishing shallow (hopefully the fish will have followed the bait down). This was a .5g Garbolino DC6 float attached to .15 Preston Powerline straight through to a size 14 Kamasan B911 hook. This rig was attached to black hydro.

I had 2 pints of maggots, 1 tin of hemp, a few expander pellets for the hook and 2 pints of casters.

All In

At the start of the match, I cupped in casters and hemp down the middle, and also potted some maggots straight in front of me and put some casters and hemp right over to my left, which was still some 6 or 7 metres away from my maggot line.

I baited up the shelf rig with double maggot and went over to the far side. The float settled and some 2 minutes later, the float dipped. I struck with all the speed of Xman and foul hooked a carp, which quickly shed the hook

I dropped straight back in again. The float dipped. I struck and a gudgeon came flying out and dropped off the hook.

I re-baited and went back over. I managed to snare my first carp after 15 minutes. Over the next hour or so, I managed to snare a couple more carp, one over my caster and hemp across and another over my maggot line. I tried in the deep water, no luck.

Dave Worsley on the Jackpot peg was putting the odd carp together and by now had about 6 or 7 carp, all of which came up in the water. He would feed 2 handfuls of bait, then nothing at all again, until he’d caught a fish, this could be 10 minutes after he had fed.

I resorted to fishing up in the water and I was feeding about 10 casters every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I would feed half a dozen, other times I would feed about 15. I would feed every 10 seconds, I would feed every 30 seconds, I would feed every minute. Nothing seemed to get the fish to settle.

I did however, know when I was going to hook a carp up in the water as there would be a good boil where I had catapulted in my bait.

I managed to snare the odd carp up in the water, but I had to keep on swapping my hookbait. I caught a few on pellet, maggot or caster, all the while I was feeding caster up in the water.

After about 3 hours, I was fishing up in the water, when the float shot under, I lifted into the fish, had it on for all of 5 seconds, then nothing. I shipped back to find that I had no rig left, the line had broken right on the loop at the top of the rig. Preston Powerline .13 to grey hydro. I must have had a nick in my line or something. Why does it keep happening to me?

Someone else must have also lost a fish as a red topped float kept on popping up around me now and again.

I got some micro pellets out of my bag with an hour to go and put a few in the shaker pot. I caught a couple more carp. It was turning out to be a weird match, although I caught fish on a variety of baits, I just could not get the fish to settle down and have a proper feed.

Brian Armstrong to my left was having a grueller. Craig Ebbrill, on peg 59 was catching a few, Barney was struggling, but would catch the odd fish now and again, same applied to Dave on my immediate right.

I could get the fish clouding across on the far side, but as soon as I catapulted some more bait over, they would disappear. If I caught a fish, they would disappear. The fish just would not settle, not matter what I did or where I fished.

All Out.


I was glad when it was all over. I was admitting to 30lb, Barney was admitting to 25 – 30lb. Dave didn’t know what he had. Brian tipped back.

I went over to see Barney and have a chat to him, and I observed Martin Murphy with about 10m of pole in the sky with an angry carp attached. After some to-ing and fro-ing, he managed to get the said fish in the landing net. It was only about 2lb.

By the time that the scales had arrived, Pimmy was top dog with 52lb odd. Young Emu Ebbrill weighed in 50lb 4oz. I plonked 32lb on the scales, Dave had 36lb and Barney weighed in 34lb. I rang Macca to see how my 2 quid was doing. He also weighed in 36lb. Chappy had 50lb. This was turning into a bad day at the office.

I checked the board to see if I could salvage something from Orc. He didn’t let me down as he DNW’d.

Mr Scotthorne just missed out on his section by 1lb, courtesy of Marco – 45lb against 44lb. Mrs Scotthorne faired worse than I.

Following on from my look-a-likes, Vinnie ‘Diesel’ Martin has now been renamed and his long lost brother is non other than Barney Grumble. If you don’t know who he is, do a search. They are identical.

Chappy isn’t here for the next couple of weeks, I will be able to save up for my kids Christmas presents whilst he is away.

Full Result

1. Rob Minikin (HAS) - 56-09. Peg 69
2. Gaz Pawlett (Oaks) - 55-11. Peg 17
3. Jonny Kenning (Diawa Goldthorpe) - 53-04. Jackpot peg 78.
4. Dave Pimlott (Garbolino Elton) - 52-08.
5. Craig Ebbrill (Mosella Garbolino) - 50-04
6. John Chapman (Garbolino Elton) - 50-02

Tackle review – my new pellet pump.

I have just purchased a new pellet pump and to be straight up, I think that it is crap. It is a new one that I have just seen on the market and is a plastic container, almost like a jar, with what seems like a bicycle pump attachment that allows you to expel the air from the ‘jar’.

It is a screw-on design. You unscrew the pump, put said pellets in the jar, refit the top, then pump away. I tried it for the first time on Sunday, and after pumping for what seemed like ages, some pellets had sunk, and some were still floating. I know that this happens anyway, but there were nearly as many floaters as there were sinkers. This ain’t good.

When you buy a pump, you want to be safe in the knowledge that most of them (if not all) sink. I realise that people go on about neutral buoyancy, etc, but at least when you have them in the jar, you would like them to sink slowly.

I will be returning this to my local shop and either getting another one from a different manufacturer or I may even stick with the plastic bottles.

No comments: