Total Page Views

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Saturday 2nd September 2006

Intersite Individual - Barston Lakes, Midlands

After all the apprehension and the build up to the intersite individual match taking place at Nigel Harrhy's place at Barston, the day was finally upon us, us being Andy Purvis (Purverted) and I.
One of the most popular questions that I had been asked in relation to the match was, why was I going? Because (I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'because') it is something different and I also wanted to put a face to the names that I have got to know from the Total-Fishing website.

In view of the recent Drennan Superleague match being held on the lake recently, I asked about for one or two ideas about how to go on. I managed to wangle some method feeders (never used the method before) from Johnny Bradders, I had a chat with Des Southern and I also saw Mark Addy in my local tackle shop.

The general consensus was to fish the method feeder with either dead red maggot or mini boilies on the hook or fish the pole with either a pellet or chopped worm approach.

I arranged for Purverted to be at my house for 6:30 in order to allow us 2 hours to get there, then have a brekkie before the 9:30 draw. We timed it just about right, as we didn't leave my house until nearly 6:45 and we arrived by 8:30 courtesy of my navigational skills, although I did take my eyes off the road and the map on occasions (and I thought my driving was scary, you ain't seen Purverted drive yet, when you see him, ask him about the ducks in the middle of the road on the way home from work about a year ago).

Barston lake is a 21 acre lake with 100 pegs set along side a golf course and the draw and breakfast was to take place in the 19th hole. When I arrived at the door of the 19th hole, I was half expecting a commissioner to open the door for me and point me in the direction of some slippers.

For my bait list I had 1 bag of green swimstim bulked out with micro pellets, already prepared to deaden the mix, a couple of bags of micro pellets, hard 4mm pellets, hooker pellets, 1/2 pt dead red maggots, 1 small tin of corn, 1/2 kilo of worms and some mini boilies (cheers Bradders).

The interesite was to be contested between members from Total-Fishing.com, Maggotdrowners (?), the recently re-vamped Talk Angling and not sure of other sites. By the time of the draw, there were 29 of us there, mainly Total-Fishing members.

I put my hand in the bag and pulled out peg 94. Well, what did I know about peg 94. Nothing, nada, zilch, zero. Purverted put his hand in and drew peg 80, he knew even less than me. Harrhy (?) was next to Purverted on peg 81. Red Army was 3 or 4 pegs away from me on peg 90/91 .

Quid action? Whilst I was having my breakfast Red Army shouted that I chickened out of the intersite match that took place at Lindholme Lakes, Doncaster. The book was opened, my first quid account was struck. I also proceeded to have a quid with anglers both sides of me. Now this is where I must offer my apologies to Neil Powell who was next to me on peg 95. I went to the lad on peg 93 and offered him out for a quid, this was quickly accepted and I then went to the fella who was hiding behind his umbrella on peg 95 and shouted across to him, if he wanted a quid. This was duly accepted. I got the chap to look out from behind his umbrella and thought, blimey mate, I don't want to be taking any of your heating money, but then again, sod that it was warm. In view of Purvedted being present, the obligatory £2 was struck!!

The Weather.

I thought that it was windy at Sessay until I arrived here. There was a slight wind blowing, it must have been the strongest wind of the year. I set my pole up at 13m and very very quickly brought it back to 10/11m. I didn't want to risk seeing my pole get snapped and go flying down the lake.

All the gear, no idea.

I set up 2 pole rigs which both incorporated Drennan Roach floats;

1st rig was a 4 x 14 float on Maver Genesis .14 mainline with a .12 hooklength tied to a size 16 Kamasan B911 hook. This rig was attached to Grey Hydro.

my 2nd rig was a .5g float set up as above. I plumbed up at 10m with both rigs as the wind wasn't going to let me plumb up any further without smashing my pole first. At 10m I found a pretty flat even bottom where I had about 3.5ft of depth. I attached this one to white hydro.

I also set up the obligatory method rod. This consisted of a Maver multi-tip 11/13ft feeder rod (set at 11') with a Shimano Perfection Match reel attached. I had 6lb Maxima has my mainline. I attached one of Bradders' Fox method feeders (25g) and I was ready to go.

Prior to the all in, Purverted came up to see me and told me that he had seen 5 carp topping in his peg, 2 to the left, 1 at about 16m in front, 1 at 25m in front and 1 to his right. The winner of the match held yesterday (Friday) came from about peg 82/83 and he begged and pleaded and grovelled his way to borrowing my rod. He had either forgotten his or he couldn't be bothered taking it. In view of us going halves and him being in the right area, I obliged.

At the all in, I cupped in 3 medium balls of groundbait and pellets on to the 10m line and immediately went over with the .5g float rig and pellet as hookbait. The lad to my right fed a little further out on his pole line, then chucked his method feeder out.

After about 3 or 4 minutes, my float buried and carp no1 one was soon in the keepnet. I dropped in again with a tosspot full of pellets and groundbait. I dropped in over the top, the float dipped and I lost a foul-hooked carp.

Next drop in, I foul-hooked another. On my 4th drop in, I caught another carp. 40 minutes in and I had a total of 2 carp for about 2.5lb. The lad to my right had a couple of carp and a couple of skimmers on the method. He had seen me starting to get a few fish on the pole, he came in on his pole line and caught a skimmer almost immediately.

I swapped over to corn on the hook. I shipped out the pole, dropped in and a skimmer about 8oz had a liking for the hookbait. The skimmers had finally arrived.

After a further fruitless 30 minutes, I went to go and see Purverted to see if he was bagging on my bomb rod. He was out on the pole and had been done up like a kipper once. I got my bomb rod back and went back to my peg.

I chucked the method out with corn has hookbait, put it on the rest and waited. The tip trembled, and I wasn't sure if it was because of the wind. I waited a little longer and the tip still trembled, I struck and carp no 3 was soon on it's way. I made a decision, I was going to change my 10m line over to a groundbait and chopped worm line. I chopped some worms up and cupped them in. I chucked back out on the method and after about 15 minutes, I caught a skimmer of about 8oz. I waited another 20 mintues, and nothing. It was time to try the worm.

I baited up with half a worm on the hook, dropped it in and caught a carp almost immediately. That was it, they wanted worm, or so I thought.

Purverted had in the meantime, come back down to me. He couldn't hold his pole and wondered if he could have the rod back. The lad who was on peg 84 was bagging on the method and Harrhy was starting to get a few.

The wind was only slightly stronger than what it was an hour ago and was steadily increasing in speed as the match progressed. Atleast I could hold a pole in my peg.

I then fished the remainder of the match on the worm, feeding small amounts of worm and groundbait after every fish. I managed to snare another 3 carp with the biggest one being about 5lb, a couple of roach (which I might add are generally nuisance fish), and a few more skimmers.

At the all out, the rain started to drizzle, unless it was the spray being carried 50m from the fountain next to the 18th hole, which was a little island straight infront of me. Every so often I thought that I saw a fish top, it wasn't. It was a golf ball splash landing from the palyers with a handicap of over 100. It was a bit like tennis - chip and charge!!! I wonder if Harrhy has got some scuba gear to get all of the golf balls for a little bit of cash on the side.

Purverted was soon at my peg and gave me back my method rod - too late mate, the match is over. I asked him what he weighed, he said 11lb. I missed his 2 quids.

By the time that the scales arrived Red Army had weighed in 14lb (another quid up), the lad to my right weighed in 25lb (he managed to snare a few by alternating both the pole and the method feeder). I lifted my net out and plonked 21lb on the scales. Purverted had cost me a quid.

Oh well, there was Neil Powell to weigh in to my left yet. He had had 2 carp for not a lot. £5 up, £1 down.

It was back to the 19th hole for a beer and something to eat. Whilst I was munching on the food provided by Harrhy (note to self, do not let Harrhy employ me, he was snapping at the staff about the poor service, which to be honest, I hadn't noticed was bad), he slapped a bird on the posterior. He said it was alright, it was his missus. I told him that I thought that it was customary, and I started to form an orderly queue.

The overall result

1st Lee Taylor 77lb.
2nd Keith Taylor 51.8
3rd Ian Topliss 44.12

Sections
A R Byas 42.4
B J Sterndale 36.8
C M Kay 37.4
D M Paynter 36.8

Well done Lee.

Overall, it was windy, but it was a good day as a change is as good as a rest. I met a few faces, Sconneeeeee, Andy Topliss, Andy Jameson (?), Neil Powell, Neil H, Harrhy and to the rest, sorry if I have missed you off.

Here's to the venue and the match, hopefully there will be a few more at the next one and I hope to see some of you at the Duane memorial match in October. There's over 200 on now.

Tighlines and bent rods!!!

No comments: