Total Page Views

Monday, December 01, 2014

Match 29 - The Penultimate Match - Bottom Pond, Barnburgh Lakes

Match No. 29 - Sunday 19th October 2014

2nd to last match in the Robin Hood AC Summer League was taking place on the bottom pond at Barnburgh lakes.

We have had 3 matches in total, 2 club matches on the middle lake and 1 'knock up' on the bottom lake, and I was favourite to win it as I had won all previous club matches here.  The pressure was on.

Given the way that the wind was blowing I wanted to be on peg 1 - 5 (wind off my back) or pegs 14 - 17 (wind in my face).  I put my hand in the lucky bag and drew peg 23.  Dave Horsfall, Ian 'Sid' Waddell and Paul 'Wilco' Wilson were on pegs 1 - 5 and the Hunter Bros (Alan and Barry) had drawn pegs 14 - 17.  I got to my peg and found that I had Method Michelle to my right and I had lots of room to my left.

I set up 4 rigs and never used a plummet with any of them.  2 x jigga rigs and 2 x standard shallow rigs.  1 x jigga and 1 x shallow to fish at 2.5ft deep and 1 x jigga and 1 x shallow to fish 12-18" deep.  All of the rigs were set to fish with banded 6mm pellet on the hook.  For bait I had 2 bags of venue's own 4mm pellets.

On the team front, there was only Eric the Pheasant and I there.  Eric asked me about his peg.  After I had set up, I went to help out Eric.  I lent him my light hooklength wallet to use as needed as he was fishing maggot, maggot and more maggot down the edge.  We were carrying a 90lb weight advantage in the team event (4058lb - Team Herrington to 3968lb - Team Horsfall).  Team Horsfall had 3 anglers present today.

The match was under way. By the time that I had caught my first fish, Michelle had managed 4 fish on her deep jigga rig.  The wind was blowing at an angle towards my right shoulder and I was throwing 4mm pellets as far as I could, which was only about 7m or so.  I eventually got into a rhythm of feeding and catching fish and every so often, when the swim went quite, I went shallow to the next platform, where I had also been throwing in pellets frequently.

When I had a quick look around every now and again, everyone seemed to be catching fish, this was going to be a close one with some good weights.

That was it match over.  I had caught a few.  Dave Horsfall set the ball rolling with 108lb from peg 1.  Then there were various weights between 69lb (Eric) to 130lb.  Dave Webster set the bar high with a weight of 162lb 3oz.  Frank Brook, thought he had similar and put 113lb on the scales.  Next to weigh was Alan Hunter, after 2 weighs, he managed to snare 136lb 3oz, which is his first 100lb+ weight.  Barry was admitting to a little bit more...and managed to put 174lb 1oz on the scales - holy crap, where did all that come from.  Colin the Worm had 130lb.  Now it was Michelle's turn, she put 64lb 2oz on the scales, I thought that she had more than that.  Now it was my turn.  after 3 weighs, I had managed to amass a total of 194lb 5oz and a win.  This weight is my best ever match weight.

On the team front, Eric and I amassed just shy of 265lb between us.  Team Horsfall made huge inroads into our lead with a team total of just under 325lb - well done guys.

Next match is the last in the series and will conclude all titles up for grabs.

No comments: