Total Page Views

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Time Flies....

Last weekend, I fished two matches, the first one was a little knock up with some of the lads from the club at Barnburgh Lakes on the bottom pond and the second match was at The Oaks Lakes, Sessay on Maple Lake.  This weekend I fished at Kippax Lakes, Leeds on Sunday and at Woodlands Lakes, Thirsk on Bank Holiday Monday, so it seems, I have a bit of catching up to do.

Barnburgh Lakes - Bottom Pond

Due to another club being on the other side of the pond, we only had a dozen or so pegs to go at, so limited it to 10 anglers.  Come the draw, there were 11 of us on the match.  The match was more to give the other anglers in the club a go on the bottom pond as it is 7ft deep with 5ft of fish in it. LOL.

Pegs

Peg 14 - Eric the Pheasant
Peg 15 - Me
Peg 16 - Stuart Wilson
Peg 17 - Chris Moorhead
Peg 18 - John McCall
Peg 19 - Dave Horsfall
Peg 20 - Michelle Webster
Peg 21 - Shaun Rowley
Peg 22 -Andy Limbert
Peg 23 - Dave Webster
Peg 24 - Daz Harrison

Before the match, I had all and sundry ringing me up about the bottom pond, how do you fish it? What bait you going to use?  How do you set up your jigga rigs?  And because I wanted everyone to catch a lot of fish, I told them.  Q1.  Fish it shallow.  Q2.  Pellets, pellets and more pellets. Q3. Overshot it and then work the bait according to your bites.

I was giddy and talk was of 100lb bags all round.

I set up 3 rigs - all to fish shallow.  Two fixed shallow rigs, 1 at 2ft deep and 1 about 1ft deep and then the jigga rig set to fish between 6" to 18" deep.  Eric the Pheasant asked me what to do.  I asked him what bait did he have and he said maggots.  I said to fish top 2 or 3 down the edge.

Chris Moorhead put up his bait brolley and it resembled a parasol outside a burger bar, LOL.

Anyways, 6 hours later, we weighed in as follows:

Peg 14 - Eric the Pheasant - 88lb 4oz (his best weight yet)
Peg 15 - Me - 171lb 4oz
Peg 16 - Stuart Wilson - 109lb 9oz
Peg 17 - Chris Moorhead - 103lb 10oz (Chris was chuffed to bits with this).
Peg 18 - John McCall - 82lb 10oz
Peg 19 - Dave Horsfall - 74lb 4oz
Peg 20 - Michelle Webster - 45lb 10oz
Peg 21 - Shaun Rowley - 71lb 13oz
Peg 22 -Andy Limbert - 64lb
Peg 23 - Dave Webster - 76lb 6oz
Peg 24 - Daz Harrison - 53lb 6oz

All of my fish had come on the jigga.

Robin Hood AC - Round 7 - Oaks Lakes, Thirsk - Maple Lake

We were on the favoured high numbers and there was 19 of us on the match.  Generally the higher the peg number, the better.  I helped with the pegging out and Dave Webster said to me that we had from pegs 36 - 68 and then something about the number 33 (which I cannot recall).  I then went and pegged out starting at No. 33 Ooops.  We drew our pegs and I drew peg 41 which put me at the right-hand end of the spit.  Webster drew peg 67 (he will win it from there), Castaway Wilson was on peg 63 (old peg 62a), Big Macca drew peg 55.  I arrived at my peg to find that I had Paul Wilco Wilson on peg 39 and Ian 'Syd' Wadell on peg 43.

Andy Limbert then went to peg 33 to find another angler from another club on the peg (hence the ooops).  Due to everyone drawing their pegs, we put peg 52, 50, 68 and 56 into the draw bag and Andy drew his peg again.  He ended up on peg 52.

I mixed up half a bag of Sonubaits Supercrush Expander groundbait with the idea to fish maggots/groundbait over to the far bank.

I set up two rigs across to fish in 12 inches of water and one rig to fish to the next platform (peg 42).

The match was quite uneventful.  I managed to catch 12 carp across to the island - nothing down the edge.  I even set up a rig to fish top 2 + 1 in the deep water straight in front of me, but that was also a waste of time.

That was it, match over.  The scales arrived and Dave Webster was leading with 71lb from peg 67, Stuart Wilson had 62lb from peg 63, Andy Limbert had 49lb from peg 52, Eric the Pheasant had 47lb from peg 65 and Macca had 44lb from peg 55.  Syd Waddell put 10lb on the scales and after one weigh, I managed to put 35lb odd on the scales.  Paul Wilco Wilson put 17lb on the scales.

Full Result:

1. Dave Webster - Peg 67 - 71lb odd
2. Stuart Wilson - Peg 63 - 62lb odd
3. Andy Limber - Peg 52 - 49lb odd
4.  Eric White - Peg 65 - 47lb odd
5. John McCall - Peg 55 - 44lb
6. Mike Herrington - Peg 41 - 35lb odd

More to follow......

No comments: