Total Page Views

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Last Week...

The Robin Hood AC were at The Oaks Lakes, Thirsk on Maple Lake again.

On our last visit here the lake fished really hard with 25lb winning followed by 22lb, then me with 20lb.  We will see if it fishes any better today.  At least on this occasion, we had what I would consider to be the better pegs from peg 68 going back to peg 44.  Peg 55 won this years fisho qualifier and peg 63 (old peg 62a) has had 3 fisho qualifiers from it.  Basically the higher the number the better on this lake (excluding pegs 1 - 3).

The Draw

I put my hand in the bag and drew peg 48. Big Macca was on peg 54, with 55 empty.  Frontrow Harrison drew peg 63 (old peg 62a), Baz Hunter was on peg 64, Casper Moorhead was on peg 65, Woofer Clough was on peg 66 and Sooty Waddell was on peg 68.  Donkey Waterhouse threw the gauntlet down with the obligatory quid and he drew peg 52.  Alan Hunter was on peg 62.

The Peg

Peg 48 is a peg that is at the start of a bay with the bay going from pegs 48 - 54.  I had Frank Crook on peg 50 to my right and Pid on peg 46 to my left.  I would have preferred to have been on peg 47 (as this peg has a long margin swim) or further into the bay on about 51 or 52.

The Rigs

I set up 3 rigs as follows:

My left and right margin rig was a 4 x 14 Carpa Raisor set to fish as close to the bank as possible, which was about 1m out in 3ft of water.  This was set up on .15 Preston Powerline with a .13 Powerline Hooklength to a size 14 Colmic B501 hook.

I then set up two across rigs, one was to fish in line with a bush on the far bank, after plumbing up, I found that i had about 15-18" of depth.  My other rig was set to fish tight across and due to sedges lying on the water (again), I had about 12-15" of depth.  I used .3g Garbolino DC6 floats on both of these rigs and both had on .12 Gamakatsu hooklengths with Preston Baitbands.

The Bait

For bait I had some of the venue's own micro pellets and some 4mm pellets for feed.  I also had some 6mm BaitTech expander pellets, some Nutrabaits 6mm meaty pellets. Two tins of sweetcorn.

The Match

At the start of the match, I fed some micro's and 4mm pellets across to the sedges, then put on a 6mm expander pellet on my margin rig and lowered it to the left and swim and fed some corn and 4mm pellets.

After a couple of minutes, the float bobbed, then shot under and I was hooked up to my first fish of the day.  About 10 seconds later, it was gone.  I lost it.  I think that it was foul-hooked.

I re-baited and lowered the rig in again. After a couple of minutes, the float lifted slightly and went sideways.  I struck and was connected to....

a crayfish.  Baubles!!!

I fed some bait and went over to the far side to the swim under the tree.  After a couple of minutes, the float buried, I struck and the fish shot off to the left, then the hook pulled.

I rebaited and dropped back into the same swim.  Nothing.  Not a bite or anything.

I swapped rigs and went to the gap between the two sedges straight in front of me as I had seen a couple of fish moving on the mudline.  I dropped in about 12" short of the far bank. - I could not get any closer as the rig was then laying on sedges and did not sit in the water correctly.

After a couple of minutes, the float dipped, then shot under and I was attached to an angry carp.  As I shipped back and took the topkit off the pole, the elastic and line went slack.  Lost another one.  3 fish on and lost every one of them.

Over the duration of the match, I swapped all of the lines to snare the odd fish here and there along with a couple of unwelcome crayfish.

At one point a wasp went into my baitbox full of sweetcorn and I nearly got stung by it as I went to get some corn out, so I ended up squashing it, then another wasp came to me and started attacking me.  It got trapped behind my watch and wrist and managed to sting me (basket or words to that effect), then about another 5 or six came and started flying around me.  If there is one thing I really can't stand are wasps.

I had about 10 - 15lb with about 1 hour to go and spent the remainder of the match fishing the margins to my left and right and managed to snare 5 carp in addition to foul-hooking and losing another 3 or 4 fish.

That was it, match over.  Today had proved to be a very frustrating day with too much depth and too many foul-hooked fish.  I just could not get them to go down.

Casper Moorhead did a runner again with about an hour to go. Now you see me, now you don't.

Eric the Viking was first to weigh from peg 44, then Pid who put 24lb on the scales.  I had one weigh and put 30lb 5oz on the scales to take the lead.  Frank was a DNW, Donkey put 25lb on the scales.  Macca had 2 weighs and manged to put 56lb on the scales.  There were a couple of mid-teens to low twenties weights from 56 - 62.  Frontrow emptied both his nets on the scales and managed to weigh 32lb 10oz to take 2nd place.  Barry Hunter on peg 64 had a low twenty pounds or so.  Woofer had 18lb odd and last Sooty was last to weigh and plonked 31lb 6oz on the scales to take 3rd place, knocking me down to 4th place and a section win.

Full Result:

1.  John McCall (Peg 55), 56lb odd
2.  Daz Harrison (Peg 63) 32lb 10oz
3.  Ian Waddell (Peg 68) 31lb 6oz
4.  Mike Herrington (Peg 48) 30lb 5oz

No comments: