Total Page Views

Friday, July 26, 2013

Back to Barnburgh Lakes

I booked Frontrow and I onto the open match at Barnburgh and we were on the middle lake.  Both Donkey Waterhouse and Lurch Moorhead had also booked on.  Maybe I will get me £1.50 back from Lurch and Donkey wanted to do a double or quits with the quid that he owed me.  I was fishing for mega bucks today.

The usual reprobates were in attendance, Rosie and Jim Stonner, Les 'War and Peace', Pete 'The Main Man' Gosney (who was sporting a new Jigga floats hoodie) to name but a few.

Talk at the draw was that a weight had come from peg 10 the day before (167lb or thereabouts), but you needed to draw pegs 1 - 6 due to the change in wind direction.  I put my hand in the bag and drew peg 9. Frontrow was next to me on peg 10, Lurch was on peg 14 and Donkey was on peg 19.  Stonner was on peg 12, Mick Owen on 1, War and Peace on 2 and Paul Jenkinson was on peg 4.

The Peg

I was in a corner with the wind blowing off my back towards pegs 21, 1 and 2.

For bait, I had the obligatory pellet, pellet and more pellet.

I set up 2 Jigga rigs, one to fish between 6-12" deep and one to fish between 6"-2ft deep.  I also set up a standard shallow float rig and also a rig on top 2 +1 down the margin. All of the shallow rigs were attached to red Preston Innovations 11h elastic and my margin rig was attached to white Daiwa hydro elastic.

At the all in, I fed some 4mm pellets out to 11.5m and dropped in on the jigga rig.  After a couple of lifts the elastic came out of the pole tip and the first F1 carp was soon in the net.  every time I fed 10 - 15 4mm pellets, there were boils and swirls at the surface.  It was solid.

Over the next hour, I had about 35lb of little F1 carp and ide in the net and could see that I was probably leading the match.  Daz to my left had about 10/15lb,  Lurch and Donkey seemed to be struggling.  Pete Gosney was getting one or two.  Stonner was fishing caster short and was waiting for bites.

Then all of a sudden......

That was it. I stopped catching.  I could not get a bite on anything.  Eeeek, I still had 5 hours to go and I had gone from bagging to nothing.

I tried at 13m, 14.5m - it made no difference, I could not get a bite.  I went down the edge.  The float shot under and I caught a roach about 1oz.  Crap!.

I got another rig out  of my box and plumbed up at 13m on the deck where I had about 2.5ft of depth.  I baited up with corn on the hook, lowered it in and waited.  Some 5 minutes later, the elastic got dragged out of the top kit.  After a short battle a carp about 4lb was in the net.

That was it.  I could not get another bite on that line.  In desperation, I even got a blob of paste off Frontrow and managed to get a small skimmer on it.  It must have spent about 10 minutes nibbling it until it got it to mouth sized.

I went back down the edge and caught a (flying) skimmer.  it jumped out of the water about 4 times as if it was a trout.  That was another 10oz in the net.

That was it time over.

How had I done.  Not very well.  Oh well, there was the cumulative quid to play for.

The Weigh In

Stonner was first to weigh and put 40lb on the scales.  Lurch had 30lb odd.  Pete Gosney tipped back about 40lb ish.  Mick Cunliffe on peg 15 had 92lb on worm.  Donkey put 37lb on the scales to take the lead for the quid sweep.  Then the weights got interesting...  Mick Owen on peg 1 had 70lb, War and Peace had 84lb, Paul Jenkinson had 110lb.  The lad next to me had 55lb on peg 6.  I put a total of 46lb on the scales for 6th overall, Frontrow weighed in 34lb odd.  LURCH HAD COME LAST IN THE QUID SWEEPSTAKE.  HAHAHA. TO FUNNY. :-)

Full Result

1. Paul Jenkinson - Peg 4 - 110lb
2. Mick Cunliffe - Peg 15 - 92lb
3.  Les Peace - Peg 2 - 84lb
4.  Mick Owen - Peg 1 - 70lb


No comments: