Total Page Views

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lindholme Lakes - Laurels Lake

Remake of Fantasy Island

Lurch joined Frontrow and I for a quick breakfast and then posed for a remake of Fantasy Island:

'Look boss, the plane, the plane' said Tattoo Harrison

By the time we arrived at the draw, there were 20 on the match and we were allocated pegs 1 - 40 by Neil 'Uncle Fester' Grantham.  A few of the knockout rounds were being finalised today.  Erik the Viking and myself for one, where I was carrying a win and a 38lb weight advantage.  Tattoo and Paul Wilson were also fishing their second leg with Tattoo having a win and also carrying a 2lb weight advantage (looking at the picture above, he looks to be carrying more than a 2lb weight advantage. :-)

I put my hand in the bag and snared peg 28, which was one of the corner (peg 29).  Barry 'Alaaannn, do you want a sandwich' Hunter was to my left on peg 27.  Tattoo drew peg 16 at the end of the spit, Lurch was on end peg 3, Dave Webster was on corner peg 12 and everyone else was dotted around the lake.  My key rival for the day, Erik the Viking, was on peg 7.

The Peg

When we were last here (late last year) there were overhanging bushes and willows all the way along the edge of the lake.  I arrived to find that he had trimmed them back a bit (too much if you ask me) and the wind was blowing directly at me with a slight right to left angle and was coming through the remaining tree stumps.

The Rigs

All of my rigs are set up on .17 Drennan Rig line with a loop at the end to allow me to fish with either a  heavy or light hooklength and with or without a baitband.

I set up 2 shallow rigs - one about 18" deep with a .12 hooklength one white hydro elastic and one about 3.5' deep with a .13 hooklength on Preston 13h elastic. 1 deep rig set at 5ft deep with a .12 hooklength and plumbed up at 14.5m directly in front of me and a margin rig about 2.5' deep with a .13 hooklength which at 14.5m from the peg to where I was fishing along the bank.

For bait I had some venue micro, 4mm and 6mm pellets, meat, corn, 6mm Bait-tech expander pellets and some hard Dynamite baits 6mm pellets (primarily for fishing shallow). Oh and a bounty for yours truly.

Pellets, pellets and more pellets.


At the start of the match, I put on a 6mm expander and put some 4mm and 6mm hard pellets in a tosspot, shipped out to the 14.5m margin swim, tipped the bait over and dropped my rig in.  I must have waited about 20 seconds, the float shot under and an F1 about 12oz was soon in the net.  I repeated the process and the float shot under, nothing, I missed it.  I did the same again.  The float buried and back and struggled to lift the fish off the lake floor.  All of a sudden the fish came to the top and it was a barbel about 6oz.  Baubles (or words to that effect).  I then potted in some corn and pellets to my margin swim and went out on the deep rig baited up with a 6mm expander pellet.  I tipped some 4mm and 6mm hard pellets over the top of the rig and waited.  And waited and waited.  Whoosh.  The float shot under and an F1 about 10oz was soon in the net.

We were now about 1 hour into the match and I had 6 F1's and a couple of small barbel for about 4lb or so.

Squelcher Moorhead

You may recall last weeks episode with Lurchio and his landing net.  When will he ever learn. Obviously not this week.  His landing net came apart again, with a fish in it again.  This time he had to get in the lake to retrieve it and got his foot and trouser leg wet in doing so. By the end of the match, he had trenchfoot and we called him Squelcher.

When I fed pellets with the polepot on to the deep rig line, I got some liners.  I then tried to get them shallow by flicking a few 4mm pellets out which due to the wind, seemed to land in the water behind me, so I swapped to flicking out a few 6mm pellets.  It was not the same.  They did not want to stay down or come up properly.  I am sure that the cold northerly wind was having an effect.

Looking around the lake and from the grumbles doing the rounds, the lake seemed to be fishing very hard with the odd fish being caught now and again.

The last 2 hours

We were now into the last 2 hours of the match and I had approx 8lb.  Dumptruck who was opposite me had a similar weight and 'Alaann, do you want a sandwich' had a ghost carp about 9lb and a couple of small bits.  Sooty who was on about peg 24 was catching some good size perch and odd carp and skimmer on chopped worm.

Mick 'Dumptruck' Aveyard acting as my windbreak - look at the flat water in front of him.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a swirl at about 10m along the bank to my right.  I got my margin rig and baited up with a 6mm expander pellet and dropped in.  The float settled and then shot under.  Another F1 about 10oz was soon in the net.  I pulled out of the next 3 fish, which was probably down to the 13h elastic. I quickly swapped over to white hydro.  I then proceeded to fish down the edge until the end of the match.  I could see that Dave 'Newlywed' Webster was catching some big fish and Dave Wathen on about peg 36 was catching a few.

At the all out, I thought that I had about 30lb and seemed to have done okay, based on what the anglers seemed to have caught around me.

The scales arrived and Dave Wathen was leading from peg 36 with 39lb 6oz.  I plonked 32lb 8oz on the scales.  Alaann, do you want a sandwich weighed about 14lb, Sooty had nearly 30lb.  Tattoo had 21lb odd, so with his previous weight, Paul Wilson needed to catch 25lb+. Dave Webster weighed in 43lb 2oz from peg 12, fishing meat down the edge.  Erik the Viking did not weigh and had gone by the time the scales arrived to his peg.  Paul Wilson weighed in 29lb, therefore winning the round and knocking Tattoo out of the knockout competition.  Last to weigh was Squelcher Moorhead.  A few people said that he had caught a few.  He weighed 39lb 2oz.

I had come 4th  and won my section, in addition, I was up another £5.00 courtesy of the knockout competition and I was through to the next round.

Result:

1.  Dave Webster 43lb 2oz, Peg 12
2.  Dave Wathen 39lb 6oz, Peg 36
3.  Chris Moorhead 39lb 2oz Peg 3
4.  Mike Herrington 32lb 8oz Peg 28

Pegs 12, 36 and 28 were all corner pegs and peg 3 was an end peg.

Tightlines for now.

Thanks

Big Pellet.

No comments: