Total Page Views

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Saturday 26th August 2006 – Woodland Lakes, Thirsk

Partridge Lake

After a quick call to Panic, inside information was gathered as was a time agreed for a lift. The usual stop off at Morrisons, Boroughbridge was the order of the day for one of their ‘Flying Start’ breakfasts.

I arrived at Woodlands, paid my dues and went in search of some quid action. Chappy was ever-present, Panic was back on the books and Nightie was also present and said that I owed him a quid from the last time (???, I will have to look into this later!!).

The lakes had been fishing pretty consistent on the mid-week matches and the weights could come from anywhere. I put my hand in the bucket and pulled out Partridge 36. Partridge 37 wasn’t in, and neither was 35. An empty peg both sides.

Chappy had drawn Skylark 21 (absolutely sock on), Panic was on Skylark 26 and Nightie was on Skylark 6. This was turning into a Big Pellet – v- Skylark match. I was in good company, I had Meatcutter Bailey opposite me on Partridge 1. He only put one net in, that indicates what he thought of the area. Tony Neesom was to my left on P34. John McG was behind me on S3, with Coyney to his right on S4.

In view of just picking up my new Brilo Box (the stacks system) complete with winders, I had no rigs ready, so quickly set about making up two rigs. I had also left my large landing net head at home and asked around if someone had a landing net that would hold an 8lb’er. I wonder why everyone laughed when I said that they would need to accommodate and 8lb'er. Haircut, being the good egg that he is, lent me a large Garbolino (does he not have any other gear?) landing net head. Cheers mate.

Rig 1 was a .2g DC 6 set up on .16 Maver Genesis line direct to a size 14 Colmic WN501 hook. This was attached to black hydro through the power top two kit. I plumbed up down both sides where I found about 2.5ft of depth. One was on the top 3 kit, the other was at 9m along the bank, next to the platform in P37.

Rig 2 was a .4g DC6 set up as above. I plumbed up at the base of the slope at 8m and also out in front of P37 at 13m, where I found the same depth of about 5ft deep.

For bait, following my conversation with Panic, I had 1 tin of large hemp, 3 tins of meat, cut lovingly using my own ‘Meatcutters’, meatcutter and 1 large tin of corn.

At the all in I cupped 10 pieces (or there abouts) of meat and a handful of hemp on the 13m line and put a similar amount in down both side swims.

For the 8m line, I put 4 pieces of meat (I counted) and a small pinch of hemp in. I baited up with meat on the hook, dropped in and waited. After some 5 minutes or so, the float buried and a 4lb was soon in the net. I re-baited, dropped in again and foul-hooked one. I did the same and foul-hooked another. On the 4th drop in, I managed to snare one, although it was foul-hooked in the tail and took a bit of time to get out. I was now 15 minutes into the match and had 2 fish for 10lb in the net. I carried on in this manner until I felt that the swim had died or was dying. After about 1 hour of the match, I estimate that I had about 20lb, made up of 4 carp, 2 skimmers and 2 tench, so wasn’t doing to bad. Meatcutter opposite me had had 2 fish, both of them were small from where I was sitting.

I decided that now was the time to try down the side, which I had been lovingly pre-baiting whilst fishing the 8m line. I dropped with the side rig down to my left and immediately caught a small roach. I dropped in again and caught another small roach – maybe I should try fishing hemp??

I went down to my right at 9m, dropped in with meat on the hook and caught nothing.

By now I saw the odd carp cruising about up in the water in front of me at between 8 and 12m. I immediately swung the shallow rig out in front of me, waited all of 3 minutes and caught one of the ‘cruisers’ of about 3lb. Whilst playing this fish, there were one or two bow-waves as the fish in the area spooked.

I went back out to the 8m line, nothing. I came back down the inside, nothing. Down to my right, nothing.

My match was over and there was 3 hours left, what to do.

I rotated all of the lines and managed to pick up the odd fish, including another ‘cruiser’. Meatcutter opposite me was faring worse than I. I could hear and see the odd splash to my left as both Tony and Young Adam caught fish.

With about 1 hour to go, John McG behind me was bagging on his 2m line, straight out in front of him.

That was that. I had a good start then it sloooowwwwweeeeeeedddd to a stop.

By the time that the scales had arrived, Meatcutter opposite me weighed in 30lb odd. Tony to my left DNW’d. Young Adam had over 60lb. Bill Brierley is on fire at the moment and weighed in over 120lb. Deano Smith was second with 108lb and Pimmy was 3rd with over 90lb. I managed to eke out 38lb odd. Chappy was stood behind me, saying that it was going to be close as he thought that he had that much in one net alone. Oh well, one quid down already. Nightie DNW’d, so I was even stevens. There was only Panic to go and following his recent run of good form, he didn’t disappoint and took my quid. For the record, Chappy ended up with over 80lb.

I never set up a bomb rod, but after watching Meatcutter opposite me catch nothing on his, I thought that it was time well saved.

I have also just invested in a trolley for the long walks (Barston next Saturday and any other forays to Woodlands).

No comments: